Monday, August 17, 2009

Task 5 (video reflection): Don Norman: The three ways that good design makes you happy

Don Norman discusses the ways in which emotion can influence design. As consumers we respond to design in pre-determined way. This is often subconscious and as Norman explains this can be explained at three different levels.

Visceral a form of pre-programmed subconscious thinking. As humans we respond to particular colours and sensual stimulation, this is a biological instinct. Designers can utilise this in design, making products more inviting while encouraging consumers to continuing using the product the through a pleasant experience.
Although I feel that the appeal of a product is more than this there are large contributing factors such as social standards. As a young child I remember liking pink because that is what is expected of young girls. Truthfully I hated pink, but I believe that was what was expected of me and it gained me acceptance amongst my peers. This was in no way a subconscious but the rather an intentional choice to avoid being told I had made the wrong or unexpected choice. Choosing pink as a young child was never a pleasant experience and now refuse to issue girls, or encourage others to, with pink.

The behavioural level is what Norman describes as a subconscious response to seeking the comfortable and familiar with feeling in control. Our behavioural responses communicate a series of emotions reflecting our interpretation of the world.

Reflective thinking, is not a physical response. Reflection acknowledges the choices we have made and what that shows about us as a person. According to Norman this can often conflict with our visceral thinking, as we can be attracted to the new and different. Refletive thinking can gain us admiration or respect.
Perhaps it was my behavioural and reflective responses that influenced me to choose pink. As Norman said, my reflective and visceral choices were conflicted between the colours I really liked and what I believed was the safe choice. I think that Norman could have gone into more detail on these factors, but instead was more focussed on the positive response we have to design. We can have negative responses to design that perhaps makes us lean towards an alternative option. Fear can be just as influential in our choices, fear of what is best for or image, fear of certain products or experiences.

I found this video address some significant points but I also felt that Norman was unnecessarily positive. This particular focus seemed unbiased, making design seem simple and non-commercial. Marketers have a very large role in the designs and products we choose, and the ways in which designers exploit or behaviours and often weaknesses is glossed over.


Video Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlQEoJaLQRA&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fstanz3ds.blogspot.com%2F&feature=player_embedded#t=35

No comments:

Post a Comment