Monday, August 3, 2009

Task 1: Shape of scent





I specially like this task, as I designer I felt it challenged the way I consider a brief. A human experience encompasses all of our senses to evoke a variety of emotional responses. Scent greatly contributes to our experiences, either through learnt behaviours, past encounters or intrigued to a new occurrence. As designers it should be our aim to either enhance and/ or capture this experience. This is what I have tried to achieve through my clay model.

Inspired by my assigned scent, my sculptures were intended to be sophisticated yet intimate. They were intentionally minimalist, capturing the elegant and feminine form. This particular scent seemed familiar as engulfed the senses, it became inviting and comforting. My designs were whole forms, incorporating the idea of a cycle of rotation. This scent although heavy and soothing it began to develop throughout the experience; new layers would emerge evoking a different emotion. These forms attempted to display the contrast between comfort and mystery and they way in which they develop and intergrate together.

No comments:

Post a Comment